The Cooperative & Experiential Education Division of the American Society of Engineering Education (ASEE / CEED) is seeking nominations for outstanding intern students employed during the 2022 Calendar Year (January - December). The winning student will receive a cash award, a recognition plaque, and will be invited to the 2023 CIEC Conference in Charleston, South Carolina to receive their award. All nominated students will receive a letter and certificate of recognition via email for their national nomination.
Intern Student of the Year Award
- A CEED member must nominate the student. The CEED member can nominate more than one student for the award.
- Nominated students must be enrolled in a four-year/five-year undergraduate program within the calendar year of the nomination.
- Students are eligible for the award even if they graduate prior to receiving the award within the calendar year of the nomination.
- Nominated students must be majoring/working in any undergraduate discipline recognized by ABET (Accrediting Board for Engineering and Technology).
- Nominated students must have completed at least one work term (paid or unpaid) at the time of nomination.
- An internship is one work term full-time (part-time, paid or unpaid), in which the student participates in work related to their major. It is appropriately supervised on-site and by a university educator, with specific learning objectives and an opportunity for reflection and evaluation.
Award - The winning student will receive:
- a $750 cash award
- a recognition plaque
- an invitation to attend the 2023 CIEC Conference to receive their award
- hotel accommodation as deemed appropriate by the CEED Board
- up to three additional meal tickets at the CIEC Conference Awards Ceremony if attending in-person
The winning student's supervisor or the employer representative will receive a:
- One day CIEC Conference registration
The winning student will:
- Participate as a panelist at the conference
- Write a thank you note to each sponsor at the conference
Nomination and Selection Process:
The student’s college/university, the student nominee, and the employer will each need to complete the online form by Friday, November 4, 2022 at 5:00 pm EST.
The student who receives the highest rankings from the Award Committee Members will be selected as Intern Student of the Year. All nominated students, nominating schools and employers will be notified of the winner via email by Friday, January 6, 2023.
Intern Student of the Year College/University Nomination Form: (To be completed by the student’s college/university)
The college/university representative will be asked to answer each of the following questions in 500 words or less on the form:
- Describe why you believe the student deserves the Student of the Year Award.
- Describe the student's academic performance.
- Give examples of the student's initiative, creativity, and/or original work.
- Describe the student’s character traits and personality.
- The college/university nominator must be a CEED member. Please make sure the CEED membership is up-to-date.
Intern Student of the Year Student Nominee Form Information: (To be completed by the student nominee)
The student nominee will be asked to answer each of the following questions in 500 words or less on the form:
- What are your future career goals?
- Provide examples of how your internship experience(s) have impacted your college education and future career.
- List all of the college/university leadership positions you held.
- Please share any of your achievements, awards, honors and self-initiative both on the job and in school.
- Share how you have contributed to the employer, school and/or community.
- Describe how your understanding of course material was enriched as a result of your internship experience(s).
Also, the student nominee will be asked to upload a copy of their resume. If you are unable to access the Google form OR upload your resume, please reach out to the CEED Awards Chair: Juile Nguyen (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Intern Student of the Year Employer Nomination Form: (To be completed by one of the student nominee’s employer)
The student’s employer will be asked to answer each of the following questions in 500 words or less on the form:
- Describe the student's work-related duties, including quantity and quality of work.
- Share examples of the student's initiative, creativity, and/or original work.
- How was the student challenged during their internship assignment?
- Does the student have any published papers, patents, presentations or other formal presentations of their work? Please list "N/A" if not applicable to the student.
- Share any recognition or awards the student received from the company. Please list "N/A" if not applicable to the student.
- Discuss the student's involvement in improving the company’s internship program.
- Please share the overall impact this student had on the department or company.